[retronet] Hi. I'm new here.

Wossen Wyatt wossen.wyatt at wossman.net
Tue Apr 9 21:21:33 MDT 2019

Hi Grant

Likewise. I've used VMs exclusively until about mid last year when I decided
to hunt down hardware that could run Windows 3.1. The system I now run it on
isn't period accurate, but I do have better than VGA graphics, some
rudimentary sound and a real honest to goodness serial modem working. Due to
the last of PCI slots on the mobo I'm unable to install the Realtek 8139 NIC
I have for it so I've been trying to coax a packet driver for the onboard
NIC to work, admittedly without much luck. But honestly, running DOS and
Windows 3.1 natively is loads more fun than in a VM. But I guess that’s
subjective.

I agree it can get expensive though. So I am mindful to but thriftily. And
sometimes it just takes a bit of restraint and patience and free hardware
presents itself eventually.

I'll take you advice for disk benchmarking and give it a shot this weekend.

W.