[retronet] Hi. I'm new here.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Apr 8 21:14:23 MDT 2019

On 4/8/19 8:43 PM, Wossen Wyatt via retronet wrote:
> Hi Folks.

Hi,

> I'm new here.

Welcome.

> I stumbled across the Datashed while googling Sun stuff and I'm quite
> impressed.

Yep, John has some nice equipment.

> I've recently acquired a Sun Ultra 45 and a Sun Fire v40z and I'm
> looking for interesting things to do with them and a community to share
> it with.
>
> I also have an oldnforce-based Sempron system that i run Windows 3.1 on
> (It's the only desktop system I have with IDE and floppy support on the
> mobo) and I'm planning to try OS/2 and OpenStep on it. Hopefully I can
> get them all to multi-boot.

Multibooting the Suns will be a neat trick.  In at least that I don't
know how to go about it.  I guess you can boot off of different disks.  ;-)

If you're new to OS/2, I'd recommend 4 or 4.5 as they are most likely to
work on non-ancient (more ancient than you have) hardware.  There are
also some updated boot disks online that have different drivers and
other modifications to work with newer equipment.  My biggest problem
was with OS/2 not liking my hard drives.  I think they were too big for
the boot disk from IBM to work with.  (Hence the updates.)

If you don't have the boot disks (just a CD / ISO), you can extract
images off of the CD.

OS/2 has it's own boot manager that is designed to allow multiple
operating systems (from the mid to late '90s) boot from it.  It will
play nicer with others.  The same can't be said about Windows 9x.
MS-DOS & Windows 3.x will likely be okay.  Windows NT 4 should be okay
too.  I remember it being a game of what to install in what order to be
able to get all the OSs on the system without stomping on each others
boot loader.

There is also the possibility of a boot manager like System Commander.
(That's what I used in the late '90s.)  I think some version of
PowerQuest's Partition Magic also had Boot Magic.  They helped.  I know
that System Commander had something to prepare the machine for the new
OS.  It would sort of temporarily hide the existing OS(s) from the OS
that you were installing so that it couldn't mess things up (as easily).

There was an art to it.  But it was fun.  And multi-booting multiple OSs
from the '90s will get techies from the time to raise an eyebrow.  How
high is dependent on the number of OSs and complexity.  }:-)

I've not personally messed with OpenStep.  So I can't comment about that.

> Is this list still active?

Yes.  Well, it's been idle as we've been busy with other things life has
thrown out.

Again, welcome.  I look forward to reading about your progress, and
trials and tribulations.  :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die