[retronet] Gopher…

John P. Willis jpw at coherent-logic.com
Fri Aug 31 13:36:54 MDT 2018

----- On Aug 31, 2018, at 12:33 PM, gtaylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net wrote:

> On 08/31/2018 12:18 PM, John Willis wrote:
>> Gopher is a definite must.
>
> Cool.
>
>> I'd like to see a whole gopher network.
>
> Maybe.
>
> I think it completely depends on what services members what to host.  I
> want to NOT force or compel anything.

Agreed.

>> I have a server at gopher.chivanet.org that mirrors FidoNet.
>
> Okay.
>
> Now I'm wondering what "FidoNet" is in this context that you're mirroring.

The FidoNet discussion boards.

>> Other elderly services I'm fond of include Archie, Veronica, WAIS, and UNIX
>> talk.
>
> Um … I thought that Archie and Veronica were services that worked on top
> of the Gopher protocol.  —  That just goes to show that I have a lot to
> learn about them.

Executive summary: archie indexes FTP servers; veronica for Gopher.

> I don't know enough about Wide Area Information Server (Z39.50:1988) to
> talk about it.  I originally thought it was a directory service, like
> YP/NIS/NIS+ but now think it might be more than that.

I've tried to find a WAIS server (even an ancient, abandoned project) a
number of times, but always came up empty-handed.

> I would REALLY love to see these various protocols used as an interface
> to central data, like the RetroNet member directory, website / gopher
> hole, news feeds, etc.
>
> I think that it should be possible to get Gopher and HTTP(S) to serve up
> a common corpus.

Agreed. Even implementing the Gopher protocol from scratch is incredibly simple.