[retronet] Gopher…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Aug 31 12:33:06 MDT 2018

On 08/31/2018 12:18 PM, John Willis wrote:
> Gopher is a definite must.

Cool.

> I'd like to see a whole gopher network.

Maybe.

I think it completely depends on what services members what to host.  I
want to NOT force or compel anything.

> I have a server at gopher.chivanet.org that mirrors FidoNet.

Okay.

Now I'm wondering what "FidoNet" is in this context that you're mirroring.

> Other elderly services I'm fond of include Archie, Veronica, WAIS, and UNIX talk.

Um … I thought that Archie and Veronica were services that worked on top
of the Gopher protocol.  —  That just goes to show that I have a lot to
learn about them.

I don't know enough about Wide Area Information Server (Z39.50:1988) to
talk about it.  I originally thought it was a directory service, like
YP/NIS/NIS+ but now think it might be more than that.

I would REALLY love to see these various protocols used as an interface
to central data, like the RetroNet member directory, website / gopher
hole, news feeds, etc.

I think that it should be possible to get Gopher and HTTP(S) to serve up
a common corpus.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die