[retronet] Subdomains of retrocomp.net…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Aug 31 11:11:50 MDT 2018

On 08/31/2018 10:18 AM, John P. Willis wrote:
> Agreed.

Let's write down (in pencil) that people get one subdomain, which is
their nickname.  We can readdress this in the future if needed.  (Hence
pencil.)

> I think it sounds compelling, though my only experience with dynamic
> DNS systems was a stint with AD-integrated DNS ca. 2001.

;-)

So RetroNet is already working.  People are learning.  Yay!!!

I know that I'm learning things as we design this.

> My only concern (minor concern; not a show-stopper) would be shutting
> out people who want to run their own DNS on vintage gear/systems that
> may not support the more modern features.

I get that.  The Dynamic DNS (nsupdate) nature is not required.  People
that want to run their own DNS server and manually update things are
perfectly able to do so.  They simply won't be able to utilize the Web
UI to do it.  But if they are running their own DNS server, they are
probably comfortable (enough) to not need said Web UI.

What do you think?

IMHO the Dynamic DNS (nsupdate) is primarily intended to allow people to
update their subdomain that is hosted in the zone.

> Again, though, a bridge we can cross when we get there, and perhaps one
> better left to individual cases.

Fair.

I think the above is at least a plan to cross said bridge when necessary.

Agree?  Disagree?  Other ideas?

> In any event, I think the central servers should probably be something
> secure and modern, with the caveat that old resolver libraries must be
> able to work with them.

Agreed.

I don't foresee this being a problem.  Modern BIND will easily allow
standard zone transfers in or out.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die