[retronet] Virtual Modems / PSTN…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Aug 30 22:44:44 MDT 2018

There has been more than a little bit of interest in the idea of
emulating modems in RetroNet on the TUHS mailing list.

I just sent a message to TUHS with the following idea and directing
people to the RetroNet mailing list to discuss it further.

TL;DR:  Create a virtual serial port that is itself a TCP/IP client that
rides across the RetroNet network to a service that acts like virtual
modems (I've played with such code between VMs) that can call each other.

I also mentioned that it would likely be possible to connect said
virtual serial port to a physical serial port (including RS-232 Serial
to USB adapters) so that old physical computers could have a ""modem.

What do people think?

Is the Virtual Modem / PSTN something we want to explore down the road?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die