[retronet] Subdomains of retrocomp.net…

John P. Willis jpw at coherent-logic.com
Thu Aug 30 22:34:27 MDT 2018

I think this is a wonderful idea. Personally, I don't think there's
any real reason we can't effectively offer all three options. BIND
is pleasantly flexible that way.

Do we want it integrated in any way into the registration system
I'm putting together? It will be able to hold <$memberNickname>,
and could easily spit out zonefiles/sections of zonefiles/kick
off an rndc retransfer.

I manage my own DNS with a set of scripts (in NetBSD) that set a
lockfile preventing concurrent access, read the current serial number,
copy the zonefile to /tmp, open it in $EDITOR, and when you save/exit,
it makes sure that $oldserial > $newserial, does a git commit/push to
a private BitBucket repo, and kicks off an rndc retransfer.

Pretty used to automating this sort of thing. Not saying those
scripts are useful in this scenario, however.

--jpw