[retronet] Subdomains of retrocomp.net…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Aug 30 22:26:11 MDT 2018

Hi,

Someone asked if we would be willing to provide subdomains of the
retrocomp.net domain.

I'm perfectly cool with supporting <$memberNickname>.retrocomp.net.

What do people think?

We could easily:

1)  Host the subdomain as part of the main retrocomp.net zone.
2)  Delegate the subdomain to the member's DNS server for them to host.
3)  We could even slave the zone off of the member's DNS server if they
wanted us to.  —  This would keep the zone / subdomain accessible even
while the member's DNS server is inaccessible (for what ever reason).

I'm mostly indifferent to which of the three that we do.

It is possible to leverage various BIND options to allow the member to
make changes to their subdomain as part of the main retrocomp.net zone
without allowing them to change things they shouldn't.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die