[freem-dev] FreeM News

John P. Willis jpw at coherent-logic.com
Thu Mar 26 12:26:06 MDT 2020

Hello FreeM Community!

I'd like to share some announcements with everyone.

New Features:

 * Enhanced command-line editing in direct mode by way of GNU readline
 * Support for shebang-line scripting in FreeM
 * Rudimentary transaction processing support added (TSTART and TCOMMIT only)

New Ports:

 * Solaris 11.3 on SPARC
 * SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on i386

I would also like to welcome two new contributors to our project:

 * John Best is currently investigating a port to IBM i (formerly known as OS/400)
 * Sophie Haskins has offered to provide access to an SGI Indigo2
   workstation in order to facilitate an IRIX 6.5 port

Progress continues on enabling MERGE support. The xecline() parser now
recognizes the command, and we plan on implementing the actual functionality
in MUMPS code in the ^%ZMERGE routine.

The NEWSTACK bug hasn't shown itself in awhile--it may have been a fluke,
but we also have not stress-tested the NEW command heavily in some time.

SSVN support is currently blocking on figuring out a way to call arbitrary
MUMPS code from outside of the xecline() context. We may need to investigate
other options (such as a more C-based approach) if this proves to be too
much.

Please keep up to date by visiting https://freem.coherent-logic.com
regularly.

Thanks, everyone!