[retronet-core] Updates…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Sep 10 22:45:34 MDT 2018

My brain has continued to mull things over today, and I wanted to share
some updates on what I've concluded <-> learned today.

  · We can use the Linux kernel's native VTEP implementation on clients.
  We don't actually /need/ OvS for simpler clients.  —  Clients that
want to bridge traffic would need to step up to the full OvS.
  · We can switch VXLAN traffic based on VNIs.
  · The RetroNet side of things will run WireGuard and OvS on the same host.
  · It is possible to move the L3 IP (etc) routing to a separate system
by switching the VNIs from the WireGuard+OvS system through VXLAN to
another OvS system that is the L3 IP endpoint in the RetroNet Core.
  · I think we could re-use this methodology to have other protocols
processed in different cores.
  · This means that we don't have to have support for all protocols on
L3 endpoints.  (Having all protocols on an endpoint is 1337, but
complicated.)
  · Finally (for this email) I saw that the VTEP had an MTU of 1500.
So, maybe VXLAN will also do the fragmentation like I was wanting out of
MPLS.  —  This will need to be tested at a later point.

Aside:  I'm struggling / tripping over what to call an individual VXLAN,
or at least it's counterpart to what a PVC is in ATM / Frame Relay.  Do
we want to just re-use the PVC term?  They are virtual circuits and they
will be permanent.  (At least they will stay there until someone removes
them.)

I'm sort of in a quandary about how I want to treat the PVCs.

1)  We can either have them be unique in RetroNet from end-to-end.
Meaning John's connection from the datashed to RetroNet Services Core
would be one PVC, and my connection would be a different PVC, both of
which would have different VNIs to identify the PVC.

2)  Or we can use different VNIs on each VXLAN.  I sort of feel like
this will be overkill and possibly complicate things.

3)  That being said, I am sort of tempted to use a hybrid approach and
have common VNIs between members and their first VXLAN switch, at which
point we will switch them to a VNI that uniquely identifies them to
RetroNet Services Core.  The motivation behind this is so that we could
re-use the same VNI to represent RetroNet Services Core everywhere.

Or, to say it a different way, we could have the same VNI used in all
clients for the connection to RetroNet Services Core.  It's like
borrowing the idea of a consistent VPI 8 / VCI 35 to connect to $ISP
from the ATM DSL days.

I think the option #3 might be easiest for members outside of the
RetroNet Core team.  I also don't see #3 as being any more difficult
than #1.  I feel like #2 is just going to lead to problems.

All in all, WireGuard+VXLAN is looking fairly good.  We've progressed
from technical issues of each individual link to a larger view of the
network consisting of multiple links.

I'm likely going to be PoCing the following network topology at some
point in the near future.

(C2)---(RN-C2)---(RN-C3)---(C3)

Clients 1, 2, and 3 will have PVCs across the VXLAN core to the
DataShed.  I'll also try a PVC between C1 and C3.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die