[retronet] WireGuard and MPLS vs VXLAN…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Sep 9 16:22:00 MDT 2018

On 09/09/2018 10:37 AM, Grant Taylor via retronet wrote:
> I want to spend some time working with WireGuard and seeing how well
> it's going to scale with multiple users.  Do we need to have multiple
> WireGuard interfaces?  Can we put everybody on one central WireGuard
> interface?  What about people that have multiple RetroNet node?  Do we
> put members on separate VXLAN Network IDs (a.k.a. VNIs)?  In short, how
> do we take this to the next level and make things function at scale.

I did some more work with WireGuard and can now answer some of the
questions:

Q:  Do we need to have multiple WireGuard interfaces?
A:  I was able to successfully put VPNs to multiple members on a single
WireGuard interface.

I did run into an issue when I first tested things.  WireGuard
apparently picks which VPN to use based on the IPs that are allowed on a
VPN with another member.  Originally I had all the VPNs in a common /24.
  I ended up changing to a /30 range for each VPN.  This allowed
WireGuard to properly choose which VPN to use under a WireGuard interface.

Q:  Can we put everybody on one central WireGuard interface?
A:  I had not problems putting multiple VPNs on the same WireGuard
interface.  (Ignoring the addressing issue.)

I don't know how many people we will be able to put on a single
WireGuard interface, much less if we will run into a scaling issue on
the RetroNet core VPN concentrators.

Q:  What about people that have multiple RetroNet node?