[retronet] RetroNet globally-routable address allocation policy

John P. Willis jpw at chivanet.org
Sun Sep 2 15:38:43 MDT 2018

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Grant Taylor wrote:

>> (Apparently my presence in this list is a blatant violation of chivanet.org
>> <http://chivanet.org> terms of service. I had hoped that something like
>> RetroNet would have included the old idea of a global internet without
>> country or continent borders, but oh well.)
>
> What‽
>
> John:  Will you chime in here?

This raises a very important issue. I, as the owner of ChivaNet and its
network and compute resources, am personally very much in favor of a
borderless and global Internet. For that matter, I'm in favor of a
borderless world.

The difficulty is that I don't have the financial resources to ensure 100%
compliance with the GDPR, though I appreciate the spirit of what it's
trying to achieve. I would certainly make every effort to comply with any
takedown requests, but my ability to deliver any and all personal data I
host to a user is somewhat limited.

The blanket TOS statements are more for protection against liability than
anything else, and I hadn't envisioned applying them to RetroNet.

Mantas, given the above, and your apparent interest in RetroNet, I'm not
going to hold you to those terms.

However, we (the core RetroNet group) should probably formulate some sort
of policy regarding GDPR regulations, and figure out what we need to do in
regard to that whole thing.

Thanks,