[freem-dev] Mac OS X port now functional!

John P. Willis jpw at coherent-logic.com
Tue Mar 31 00:06:46 MDT 2020

Hello all!

We now have FreeM 0.1.8 building successfully on macOS Mojave.
In order to make this work, it is necessary to install the _real_
gcc--not Apple's clang-pretending-to-be-gcc lying nonsense. I
did it with Homebrew. Neither straightforward nor fun, which is
to be expected with anything Darwin-related.

However, we have issues with libfreem.so still outstanding for
this port, as the Darwin linker isn't a fan of the poor way in
which FreeM manages globally-scoped variables.

Given that Windows, macOS, and Linux are easily the top-tier
desktop operating systems in today's world, this is somewhat
of a momentous occasion.

In other news, our native-code MERGE implementation is well
underway, but has revealed issues in FreeM's $QUERY implementation
for MUMPS local variables. I may attempt to bring in Saintly's
symtab.c from https://rosecroft.net to see if it's any better,
although I do not believe it supports FreeM's NEWSTACK implementation.

The build farm is still being put together, and I will continue
updating everyone about this as it progresses.

Take care,

/*
 * John P. Willis, CEO
 * Coherent Logic Development LLC