[retronet] Mailing list news and reverse DNS

John P. Willis jpw at chivanet.org
Tue Sep 18 08:33:19 MDT 2018

Hello all,

It would appear that GTT has finally processed my request to add PTR
records for the ChivaNet IP addresses. They did not go as far as to
honor my preferred request of doing RFC 2317 delegation, but at least
this mailing list should no longer present problems for people whose
mail servers filter messages from servers whose forward and reverse
DNS don't match. Progress!

At this juncture, I would like to define some things that have
seemed to cause some level of confusion in the RetroNet community.

Q: What is the datashed?
A: The datashed is a back yard shed with a miniature data center
    inside. It has three upstream ISPs, supplies free wireless Internet
    service to low-income families in my neighborhood, and hosts
    several core functions of RetroNet (IRC, mailing lists, wiki,
    forum, etc.)

    See https://chocolatejollis.net/datashed/ for more info.

Q: What is ChivaNet?
A: ChivaNet is the name of the datashed network, as well as the
    name of the ISP that I run. ChivaNet is not the same thing as
    RetroNet, but some of what it provides is IMO in the same
    spirit as RetroNet.

    See http://www.chivanet.org/ for more info on ChivaNet.
    ChivaNet is a subsidiary of my company, Coherent Logic Development LLC,
    http://www.coherent-logic.com/

    This essentially provides tax benefits for ChivaNet equipment
    purchases and other expenses.

This may form the basis of a FAQ, which IMO, every project like
this really should have.

Thanks!