[retronet] Looking for a Raspberry Pi owner to help with bleeding edge testing.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Sep 14 11:24:16 MDT 2018

On 09/14/2018 11:08 AM, Cornelius Keck via retronet wrote:
> Incoming on 3G/LTE could well be an issue. The Pi, or the 3g-router
> (TP-Link 3020 or equivalent) receives a private IP address, one of the
> non-routed ones. I've not tried unsolicited traffic from the outside,
> could imagine that it bounces. Wired side is different, because Frontier
> (Verizon before that) only offers static IPs to business accounts. Since
> I like and prefer to host my own stuff, that's what I have, never mind
> that this place is a residence, not a business. Residential accounts
> have ports blocked, IIRC they are kept from accepting at least on ports
> 22, 23, 25, 80, 143, ...., depending on ever-changing policies,
> potentially nothing below 1024. I've not read their terms and conditions
> in forever, but there might be a stipulation that one isn't supposed to
> run servers on a residential account

That's one of the nice things about RetroNet.  Members are functionally
clients of a public service.  ;-)

Which also means that testing through the 3G/LTE connection is probably
a better test.

> It shouldn't be a problem to simulate blocking on this end, since the
> routers are mine. Only thing that is not is the combination of port
> blocking and DHCP-assigned public IP addresses on a wired uplink.

Cool!

Would you mind setting up a Pi with basic internet connectivity (enough
to connect to web servers) and install WireGuard.

I'm hoping that you can do it through the package system on Raspbian.

Please take notes as you do the RetroNet specific parts.  (Even if the
notes are just shell history.)  Those notes will grow and be added to
ending up in documentation for others to use.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die