[retronet] Random thoughts about databases and config management.

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:36:24 MDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:34 AM Grant Taylor via retronet <
retronet at mailman.chivanet.org> wrote:

> My brain has disengaged from work and engaged in RetroNet.
>
> I think we need to name interfaces using the
> “${RNmemberName}-${memberNodeName}” format. That will clearly identify who
> the interface is for and which of their interfaces it is.

Beware of 16-byte length limit on the interface names in a popular
operating system.

> So, I think we need a DB (or comparable) / table that will enforce unique
> member names as well as one that enforces unique node names for the member.
> I don’t know how to do the second enforcement. But I’m not a DBA / app
> designer so I won’t try. (Bad Grant, stop it!)

As far as I know in at least MySQL tables you can make an index covering
multiple columns. In the `nodes` table, creating a 'unique' index over
(memberName, nodeName) would ensure that the combinations are unique, even
if nodeName itself is not.

(Though my first attempt at a "DB" would have been a bunch of textfiles in
Git repository, letting the filesystem itself sort out uniqueness.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas