[retronet] WireGuard VPN keys…

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Sep 11 21:56:43 MDT 2018

I wanted to document something I've thought for a while so that others
can know what I'm thinking and have the opportunity to comment / object
/ support it.

--------
Outgoing:  I am planing on ALL WireGuard VPN keys to be generated on
each member's client.  The member will then provide their public key
file (${member}-${node}.pub) to the other members (including RetroNet
Services) that they wish to connect to.
--------
Incoming:  Members will need to accept and install the public key files
of the other members (including RetroNet Services) that they want to
connect to.
--------

I want the Outgoing statement so that members are in control of their
own private key.  Nobody else has it.  Nobody else can violate security
of something they don't have.

I want the Incoming statement so that members are in control of who is
allowed to connect to their node.

RetroNet Services is functionally just another member that will have
links with many other members.  But this is not a hard requirement.
Members can have links between themselves without RetroNet Services
being involved.  -  There may be some coordination issues that need to
be addressed.  But we will deal with them in turn.  I want the
underlying infrastructure to be designed with security in mind and in
such a way that members are in complete control of their own security.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die