[retronet] Hostname conventions for RetroNet concentrators

John P. Willis jpw at chivanet.org
Sun Sep 9 18:40:49 MDT 2018

Hello all,

It occurs to me that we need to have a discussion--at least among the "de
facto" core engineers, and possibly the blossoming RetroNet
community-at-large--about hostname conventions for RetroNet concentrators.

These are the servers (whether physical or virtual) to which RN
participants will connect to form the wider network, running the VPN
services and bridging software that DrScriptt has worked so diligently to
put together, and which are the engine for the whole thing.

I personally tend to like hostnames that convey things like:

* What the machine does (in this case, a concentrator)

* What service it belongs to (here, RetroNet)

* Possibly, location information (if this is needed)

However, I'd like to get as much input as possible. The people
participating in this right now are likely to set the direction for
everything going forward, and as such, their opinions are of inestimable
value, especially at this stage.

Please reply to this thread with suggestions!

Cheers,