[retronet] Update on VPLS

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Sep 2 00:50:39 MDT 2018

I wanted to share a milestone that I just crossed.

I have successfully compiled a modified 4.12.0-rc2 kernel that includes
VPLS support -and- the associated iproute2 user space tools.

I'm happy to say that we have a VPLS interface!  \o/

    root at vmB:~# ifconfig vpls0
    vpls0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr c6:cb:62:11:9c:95
              BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I need to do some more refinements and set up the rest of the following
network to continue with the Proof of Concept and Unit Testing.

    NetNS(A) --- VM(B) --- NetNS(C) --- VM(D) --- NetNS(E)

NetNS(A) & NetNS(E) are client machines on either end of what is
becoming a RetroNet L2 tunnel.

VM(B) & VM(D) are the VPLS endpoints (traditionally considered the
Provider Edge routers in the MPLS world).

NetNS(C) is an MPLS switch.

Hopefully I'll be able to assign IP addresses to NetNS(A) & NetNS(E) in
the same subnet, likely 192.0.2.0/24 (Test-Net-1), and be able to do all
the expected Layer 2 things across the VPLS provided by VM(B) & VM(D).

VM(B) & VM(C) are functionally (what I'm calling) the RetroNet client
devices.  NetNS(C) is functionally the core of RetroNet.

Note:  There is no WireGuard in this network (yet).  It would be used
between VM(B) and NetNS(C) as well as VM(D) and NetNS(C).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die